Ferry & logistics · 7 min read

Weather routing for a marginal airplane — how I decide to launch (or not)

Every pilot has personal minimums — the ceiling and visibility numbers below which they just don't go, even if the regs would technically allow it. Most of the time mine look pretty normal. But when the airplane under me is one that's been sitting for years, or one I don't fully trust yet, my minimums get a lot tighter than the book. This is how I think about weather when the airplane itself is the bigger unknown, not the sky.

The airplane sets the minimums, not the forecast

On a known-good airplane I fly regularly, I'll accept a fair amount of marginal weather — low ceilings, some crosswind, a system moving through nearby — because I trust every system in that airframe and I know exactly how it behaves. A long-sitting or freshly-revived airplane doesn't get that trust yet. It hasn't earned it. So the first adjustment I make isn't to the route — it's to the airplane's weather budget. I fly it in nothing but good VFR until it's proven itself to me over a few legs: high ceilings, good visibility, light wind, no convective activity anywhere near the route. If the forecast calls for anything I'd normally shrug off in a known airplane, I wait a day. The airplane doesn't know it's supposed to behave, and weather is exactly when a marginal system — vacuum pump, alternator, a partially blocked static port — decides to quit on you.

Why the instruments worry me more than the engine

People assume the risk in a long-sit ferry is the engine quitting. It's a real risk, but it's one I can plan around — I fly high enough to glide to an airport for most of the route, and I keep an eye on oil pressure and temps the whole way. What actually changes my weather planning is the instruments. A static system that's been sitting can have a partial blockage that only shows up as bad information once you're actually in weather — an altimeter that lags, an airspeed indicator that reads wrong. On a clear day that's a non-event; you can cross-check against the horizon and the GPS. In actual IMC, it can quietly kill you before you notice anything's wrong. So my rule for any airplane I haven't personally verified is simple: no clouds, period. Not "stay VFR technically" — actual, comfortable, see-the-horizon VFR the whole way.

Shorter legs, more outs

I also route differently than I would in a trusted airplane. I plan shorter legs so there are more airports along the way, and I pick routes that keep me near those airports rather than the most direct line. That means more fuel stops than a normal cross-country and a longer overall trip, but every stop is a chance to check the airplane on the ground, check the next leg's weather with fresh eyes, and — if something doesn't feel right, mechanically or meteorologically — just stop for the day. I build slack into the schedule up front specifically so that stopping never feels like a failure. An airplane that sits an extra night at a small airport costs nothing. An airplane that presses into weather it shouldn't costs a lot more.

Terrain and season change the math too

Geography matters as much as the forecast. A marginal airplane crossing flat, airport-dense terrain in good weather is a very different proposition than the same airplane over mountains or long stretches with nothing below but trees and water. On a route like that I'll add fuel stops even when the airplane doesn't strictly need them, just to keep a runway within easy reach the whole way. Season matters too — summer afternoon convective buildups mean I plan to be on the ground well before the heat of the day catches up with a route, and winter brings its own list: icing potential, shorter daylight windows, and airports where services shut down early. None of that is exotic pilot knowledge. It's just that on a trusted airplane I might accept a tighter margin against one of those factors. On an airplane I'm still getting to know, I don't stack risks — I pick the easiest version of the trip every time a choice is available.

The call I'm always ready to make

The hardest part of ferry flying isn't reading a METAR. It's being willing to scrub a leg you were excited about, or park the airplane at some airport you'd never heard of that morning and wait out a system for a day or two. I'd rather explain a delay to Thomas than explain anything else. That mindset only works if everyone involved actually wants the conservative call — and at Cash4Planes, nobody's ever pushed back on "we're waiting a day." The airplane and the schedule can both wait. A pilot pressing a marginal airplane into weather it — and he — aren't ready for can't be undone.

What this means if you're the one selling

If your airplane has been sitting and you're picturing us rushing to get it out before you finish signing paperwork, that's not how it works. Getting a long-sitting airplane home safely sometimes takes longer than a healthy airplane would, and weather is a big part of why. That's a cost we plan for and absorb — it never falls back on you as the seller, and it never changes your offer. You don't need to worry about the recovery logistics at all once the deal's done; that part is entirely on us.

For the mechanical side of what I check before I'll even consider flying a long-sitting airplane, see my pre-flight and en-route playbook. And if your airplane hasn't flown in years and you're not sure what that means for a sale, our non-flyable as-is guide and out-of-annual options walk through the rest.

Got an airplane that hasn't flown in a while?

You don't need to make it airworthy first. Get a cash offer as-is — we handle getting it home, on our timeline and our weather call.

Call (386) 209-6722

Related guides: How I ferry home a long-sitting airplane · Selling a non-flyable airplane as-is · Out-of-annual options